Tuesday 27 March 2012

Kinky Afro - Happy Mondays, the unofficial story.

Whilst sat on a park bench in Whitworth Park in Manchester I watched as people walked by trying to see if I could recognise him, however I didn’t expect him to come up from behind, “You go spooky in a band!” was my uncontrolled instant reaction.

“So you are my dad then.” He said.

“Son, I’m 30, I only went with your mother ‘cause she’s dirty and I don’t have a decent bone in me yeah.” I said after he fired question after question at me without even taking a breath, “What you see is what you get yeah.” I continued but he wasn’t having any of it.
“I should so I take it free yeah and all the bad preserves be things that feed me, I never give to the needy, Come on and see me.” I paused and waited for a response, any kind of response.  He talked more and more about how he works with the homeless and volunteers during his summer to help underprivileged people in places like Haiti or areas of natural disaster.  I must commend him but this has nothing to do with the genes I have passed into him.

“Yippee-ippee-ey-ey-ay-yey-yey, I had to crucify my brother today and I don’t dig what you gotta say some come on and say it, come on and tell me twice.” Was my reply to his do-gooding ways and he went silent.  I don’t know if he was looking within himself for a response that I could relate to.
He said, “I said dad you’re a shabby, You run around and groove like a baggy, you’re only here out of habit all that’s mine you might as well have it, you take 10p back and the stab it, spray it on and tag it, so sack on me, I can’t stand the needy, get around here if you’re asking you’re feeling.” I didn’t expect any of this and from what he was saying before and how he looks in his ironed chinos and button down collar shirt. 

My first impression was he looks like a right wet preppie.  He then continued, “Yippee-ippee-ey-ey-ay-yey-yey, I had to crucify my somebody today and I don’t dig what you gotta say some come on and say it, come on and tell me twice.  So sack all the needy, I cant stand to leave it, you come around here and you put your feet in it. Yippee-ippee-ey-ey-ay-yey-yey, I had to crucify my somebody today and I don’t dig what you gotta say some come on and say it, come on and tell me twice.”
Out here in the park, the preppie world healer was certainly not a chip off the old block until this last bitty, he pulled a bandanna out of his pocket and tied it tight to his head stood up and grabbed a skateboard he had placed silently on the floor behind me when he crept up just fifteen minutes ago.

I got up from that bench and looked at him as he rolled his sleeves up and revealed full sleeve tats on both arms and said, “Yippee-ippee-ey-ey-ay-yey-yey, I had to crucify my somebody today and I don’t dig what you gotta say some come on and say it, come on and tell me twice.”
And in the only way I know how I said back to him, “Yippee-ippee-ey-ey-ay-yey-yey, I had to crucify my brother today and I don’t dig what you gotta say some come on and say it, come on and tell me twice.”

That’s my boy.
Lyrics | Happy Mondays lyrics - Kinky Afro lyrics

No comments: